The first thing you need to do after installing Macrium Reflect is create Rescue Media
This lightweight version of Windows is called the Windows Recovery Environment (also known as Windows RE or WinRE) and is supplied with Windows 7 and later operating systems. For Windows XP, Vista and systems without WinRE, Reflect will download the Windows Pre-installation Environment (also known as Windows PE or WinPE) directly from Microsoft.
You have the option of restoring to a new system or virtual machine using Macrium ReDeploy to reconfigure your Windows installation for the new hardware.
Windows PE hardware support
The Macrium Rescue Environment needs to include support for your hardware such as USB ports, network interfaces, and in particular for your storage device if for example you use RAID disks. The default Windows PE environment supports a good selection of hardware and you can add support for further devices. When Macrium Reflect creates a rescue CD or USB, it analyses your system hardware and tries to locate drivers for unsupported devices by looking on your system. If it can't find appropriate drivers, Macrium Reflect prompts you to provide drivers. You can provide drivers by finding driver packages on the local hard drive, looking for driver CDs supplied with the system, or downloading drivers from the web. After you provide these additional drivers, Macrium Reflect adds them to the Windows PE environment.
CD, DVD and USB rescue media
You can boot your computer into Windows PE from a CD, DVD, USB stick or USB attached external hard disk. For convenience or for automated restores to your system disk, you can add Windows PE to a boot menu that's displayed when your system first starts. Although, do not rely upon this local copy as a rescue mechanism because it could be lost if you suffered hard disk failure or corruption leaving you without a method for rescuing your system.
Macrium Reflect creates custom Windows PE systems for each installation type by downloading the required components from Microsoft.
- Rescue Media Builder - How It Works
- Creating rescue media
- Adding a Boot Menu option for system Image recovery
- Preparing a USB stick for Windows PE
- Creating a bootable Windows PE USB stick
- Accessing network shares in Windows PE
- Technicians portable application support
- Adding device drivers to Windows PE
- About Adding Drivers to WinPE Rescue Media
- Fixing Windows boot problems
- Updating rescue media to include additional hardware drivers
- Adding iSCSI support to Windows PE
- Adding BitLocker support to Windows PE
- Restoring an image from within the Rescue Media