After installing the Windows 7 update patch released on 13th March 2018, 32 bit installations of Macrium Reflect may cause Windows to be unable to restart. The error displayed in the BSOD is:
We believe that this is related to the Spectre meltdown protection added in the Windows update:
Windows 10 32 bit installs that have been upgraded from Windows 7 may also received this error.
- Using another PC, Download 'removesnap.exe' and save to a flash or external drive that you can attach to the failing PC:
- Attach the flash/external drive to the failing PC.
- Boot into your Windows PE rescue media.
- Once started, launch PEExplorer and navigate to the drive that contains 'removepssnap.exe':
PEExplorer is launched by clicking the computer icon on the task bar.
- Double click 'removepssnap.exe'
- Close Macrium Reflect to reboot.
Note: If you receive the error message 'No Associated Program Found" then please run 'removesnap.exe' using the PE command prompt.
- Click the Cmd prompt icon:
- Enter the full path and press enter: