This error is shown when a VSS provider blocks (or vetoes) the creation of a snapshot and can be due to:
- Installing software which installs its own VSS provider,
- Existing VSS provider component has become corrupted.
Solution - Reregister the VSS components
- From the main menu, select Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems
- The Fix VSS Problems dialog is shown, click OK to reregister the VSS components.
Increase Shadow Storage
Additionally, increasing the size of shadow storage on the drive that's being imaged may be required.
- Open a command prompt with elevated privileges
Type the following command:
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=c: /On=c: /Maxsize=10%
Replace 'C:' with the correct drive. You can use more or less than 10%, but 10% is a good default.